Friday, June 03, 2005

Blogging H for H.E.R.O.

For those of you who didn't get my title, there was a D.C. comic back in the late 1970s or early 80s, I forget which, in which these two teenagers found a wrist dial and could randomly become any sort of superhero designed and submitted by readers. Well, the comic wasn't exactly popular and was cancelled because it was just silly and goofy. Anyway, I need your help in deciding what kind of Halloween costume to wear. I know, Halloween is four months away, but designing a costume takes time. And this will probably be my last year doing it, so I'd like to make a good go at it.

In 2003, I went as Golden-Age Flash. I got a WWI Doughboy helmet off E-Bay, carved out yellow plastic wings and velcroed it to the helmet, got a red top and had my mother sew a golden lightning on it. I put on blue jeans and put little paper wings on the sides of my shoes.
Pro: Real comic fans thought it was cool that I went old-school.
Con: There aren't too many Golden-Age comic fans anymore. When I told one confused party girl that I was "The Flash," she said "Flash Gordon?" And some other drunk chick tried knocking my solid steel helmet off my head because she didn't think it was real.

In 2004, I went as Silver-Age Green Lantern, that is, the one and only Hal Jordan's G.L. Getting the top was easy. Put on black tights. Got a pair of boots from Target and spray painted it green. Got a white mask and colored it green. Even got a cheap G.L. sort-of-glow-in-the-dark-ring off E-bay. The hardest thing to find, somewhat ironically, were the white gloves. Because I have man-arms, most of the white gloves I tried on were too small. Eventually I found a pair of cheap cotton ones somewhere in Massachusetts when visiting my sister and her husband.
Pro: Most people recognized G.L.
Con: In a dark bar, hardly anyone can make out green and black. My torso kind of danced around in a disembodied way, though.

Here are some ideas I've been floating around:
Judge Dredd - the British Comic version, not the damn Slyvester Stallone one. Now where can I find an eagle big enough to bolt onto my shoulder?
Hawkman - all I have to do is get into shape and build up a six-pack because he flies around shirtless. Urgh!
The Coned-Headed Jedi - the only hard part is making the cone. However, do I really want to walk around with a silly piece of plastic making lightsaber noises?
Ghostbuster - Combat boots, mechanic's suit, patch, backpack, tube and gun and there you go, back to the early 1980's. Now if I can just find a way to make the gun actually spray something, there'd be something to talk about...
Team Zissou - or just one member. I was trying to get some friends to go as the whole team, all of us wearing the red hat and light-blue uniforms, but they said it was too obscure. Obscure! We've all seen The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, haven't we? Haven't we?

So, any more bright ideas?

1 Comments:

Blogger wordforge said...

I remember awhile ago (make that a long time ago)it was suggested that you, me, Mike and Maria should go as the Fantastic Four. Mike would be Mr. Fantastic; Maria as Invisble Girl; you as the Human Torch and me as the Thing. I doubt I'll have the time to play dress up come October but it might be cool to see the three of you plus one other take on Marvel's famous superheroic quartet.

As a bonus, Elisa could go as She-Hulk who became a member of the FF when the Thing left to be in his own comic for awhile.

You'll have to convinced her to get covered in green paint though...

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home