Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Two daily hits to my blog: Or, this ain't no Revenge of the Sith

I hit my Site Meter. It's that rainbow colored rectangle on the bottom of the blog. It tells me that my audience is lower than my old GPA. Wow. That's pretty humbling. But it's my fault, really, because I haven't updated it often. I should actually do so weekly, but life has taken much of my energy. Where does it all go, you might ask, oh faithful reader? Here's yet another list...

1. I've been working on my resume. You see, it really is a full time job trying to update every single line on a two page resume. Everything must be perfect. No spelling errors. Grammar must be good. Dates are checked over and over. Responsibilities must be written simply and economically. Take out the ones that don't mean anything. Then eyeball the resume all over again hoping that every bulleted item has a period at the end.
2. I've been checking ads and submitting applications. So after the resume is complete, you create a cover letter. That's nearly as challenging as formatting the resume because in four paragraphs, you have to make yourself sound as interesting and gung-ho without being an ass or a wimp. It's surprisingly easy how one sounds like one or the other by the end of the second paragraph: "... As a so and so, I have experience dealing with this and that. I would be a valuable part of your team..."
3. I've been preparing for my interviews before going on them. I've been lucky in that I have my boss' blessing. She's the rare person who actually wants the best for me. If I had it my way, I'd stay forever, but life in non-profits can be tough... so I've been downloading position papers and information on the agencies that have scheduled to see me. Then I've been writing talking points and reviewing which parts of the resume that need explaining. I try not to memorize word for word what I need to say because then it comes off as inauthentic. I have key phrases that I build from: organized, time-management, supervised, nine years post graduate experience, liason... They're all good descriptions, don't you think?
4. Cooking, cleaning, doing laundry... all the household stuff that is required in a marriage and family. By the time the late evening news comes around, I try to relax and read. For the past few nights, it's been Raymond Chandler's "Trouble is my business." Who needs real life when I can be sprited away into the world of improbable crime and detective fiction.
5. Preparing to visit family out of state. So that means paying the bills, cleaning the dishes, making sure the house is in order before leaving. I can be so OCD, it drives my wife crazy sometimes.

Well, I'll try to see the last Star Wars movie this coming weekend. Everyone says it's great, except for my old friend Luis. I dread that he is right...

2 Comments:

Blogger wordforge said...

Excuses, excuses. Looking for a better job and household chores can be so overplayed. I offer up a challenge. I propose that you and I attempt to keep a weekday blog (weekends and holidays need to kept for partyin'), posting once for each day in the work week.

As motivation, the first to miss a day, will have to buy the other lunch at some posh restaurant(or just a diner if I lose).

What do you say? The gauntlet has been thrown. Will you pick it up?

1:18 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Aargh! Seek ye Parley, saltey dog? Thy insolence is noted and thy tongue shall be peeled from thy mouth whence me hands are upon thee. But sooth, I shall enter this devil's agreement with thee. Let us begin Tuesday next, for my sails have been set towards Boston and a Blackberry I have not...

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home