Friday, September 23, 2005

Sci-fi and fantasy deserve own Emmy category, so say we all!

I watched the Emmy show last Sunday with some boredom because:
1. Ellen Degeneres was boring
2. The shows that won were boring (except for The Daily Show)
3. My favorite sci-fi show, Battlestar Galactica, wasn't nominated for anything.

Then I said to my wife: "If reality t.v. shows can get their own categories, why not sci-fi and fantasy shows?" She said "why not?" and then ignored me the rest of the evening. That's how I think creators like Joss Whedon must feel, uncared for, that is, by Emmy Nation.

There are separate acting categories for Drama and Comedy, but imagine all the hours of sci-fi and fantasy being ignored. And is reality t.v. actually more aethetically valuable than sci-fi and fantasy? Why do cable and network executives insist on showcasing skanks like Omarosa and all the Survivor losers and MTV sweet sixteen snobs when fine actors like Edward James Olmos deserve recognition? And does Doris Roberts really need to win every time she is nominated? How hard is it to play Ray Barone's mother, for goodness sake?

To be honest, though, I shudder at the thought that if a category were created for my favorite genre, Stargate SG-1 or Charmed might actually beat out Battlestar Galactica! Wouldn't that be sad?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home