Monday, July 04, 2005

July Fourth Weekend - Final Score

Looking back on my weekend wish list, I'd like to think that I was able to fulfill a majority of it:

1. Saw Batman Begins. I thought the casting was perfect, Bruce Wayne's character development just the way it ought to be have been four movies ago, and the action as close to being like what it is in the comics. I did cry just a little when his parents died in front of him. It was very tragic...
2. Played cards with my wife. Rummy 500. I think she beat me 525 to 185. Give or take a few points.
3. Got to choose to see The Empire Strikes Back on DVD. She did control most of the t.v. time, but it wasn't too bad... Having not seen Empire in a few years, I have to say that I much prefer puppet Yoda to CGI Yoda. Somehow, Frank Oz made him so much more lifelike than computer animation ever did in the Episodes I, II, and III. Especially when puppet Yoda sighed whenever Luke failed to try hard enough. I could imagine Yoda resisting the urge to smack him in the head...
4. Advanced a few more books in The Iliad. I didn't get to finish it but did anyone notice how bloody the saga was? How'd it get through high school decency standards?

I am finishing this blog in Little Baghdad, otherwise known as the little block on which I live because half way down the block, there is an Italian family that is shooting off several hundred pounds of fireworks. We are being bombarded with explosions, sulfur, and Frank Sinatra. The police have come down the block but once they leave, the assault renews itself. They have a huge American flag waving from their porch. In the past, they have posted pro-American and anti-French slogans. I don't think they see the irony of their firework display. It is my hope that a stray spark lights up the rest of their gunpowder and demolishes their home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home