Thursday, October 06, 2005

Fetus ignores sonogram, shows backside

In the past few weeks, my life has been preoccupied with making sure that my wife and little fetus are doing well. This has meant taking her to the clinic for visits and tests. At twenty weeks, we are happy to discover the following results:

* Little baby is a girl. We have decided to name her Madeleine.
* She is 12 ounces. This is normal weight for her.
* Results of the genetic testing from the amniocentesis came back normal. Woo hoo! Unfortunately, this means no mutant powers. Too bad. She could have been the next Jean Grey.
* From the latest sonogram, she has a normal four chambered heart. Spine looks normal. Nothing of the Alien type with a spiked tail.
* The technician who did the sonogram told us she has a long neck. I am already predicting that she might have a modeling career. I will charge only a 6% commission for services as a tyranical parent agent.
* At this point in little Maddy's development, her auditory system is not fully developed. This means that all of the conversations I've had with her in the middle of the night while her mother slept has been in vain. I will have to re-teach her the alphabet and all the Beatles' lyrics at 7 months when she can begin to actually hear.
* I think she likes lasagna. Or my wife could actually be lying and attributing it to little Maddy. I am not quite sure at the moment. In any case, there is only one piece of lasagna left in the fridge and chances are highly unlikely that it will be available for me tonight.
* I am already plotting a benign conspiracy against my wife that involves little Maddy. If all goes well, she will learn Spanish from her abuelita, Chinese from my parents, and a little French from me. Because my wife does not understand Chinese and French, I can engage in duplicitious behavior with Maddy's help right under my wife's nose. Bwahahaha! My wife, when told of this plan, was not entirely happy.

So life has been busy, a little scary, and, well, more busy. But it has not been without some true happiness...

6 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Thanks for the booster. Yes, it is hard to find something to write everyday. Usually right-wing politicians provide great fodder, what with their never ending paranoia and Nero-esque ignorance and corruption. Making fun of one's own views and opinions is also another option. After all, if I can't tweak my own identity, what right do I have to crap on someone else's?

11:17 AM  
Blogger jrpublishers said...

Congratulations on the upcoming baby! It's nice to hear that she is doing well already.

Jodee
http://www.cafepress.com/jrpublishers

12:37 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Thank you so much for your well-wishes. I worry everyday that something bad might happen, but then it doesn't... so I guess we're doing something right... so far...

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? They can't hear until so late? I've been talking to Ethan for quite some time now...guess when he comes out we'll have to start out again with Newton's law even though we just finished general relativity and were about to start quantum gravity.

So glad to hear that Maddy is doing well. Sorry to hear she won't have any super powers. 'cause you know Ethan will ;)

- sean

1:27 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

No, Maddy will not grow up with superpowers, but she'll be taught martial arts and take down criminals like Buffy, but without the stakes and vampires chasing her around.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Lindiana Jones said...

I've had a mosey round your blog. It's a good read. Congratulations on the baby. I once asked my ex-boyfriend how he'd spell fetus and he said..."uh...p...h...". You have obviously had much more schooling than him. All the best as baby grows.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home