Monday, January 10, 2005

My day job

Aside from running this inn, I also work as a social worker. We're often viewed as being liberal, soft-hearted, overly kind, self-sacrifcing, etc. You know, the goody-good. A lot of us are. And I have to say that I have certain attributes like the ones just mentioned. But I have to be tough as well, especially with the mentally ill for whom I serve. Just because one has schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder doesn't mean that one can't also manipulate, lie, cheat, you know, do all the things that we normal theives and cutthroats do. I do my best to coax people to take their medications. You have to understand that in this state, short of a court order, you can refuse to take your medications. So I use whatever approach might work: cognitive, behavioral, existential. Sometimes a "Because you have to" might actually go over, but not often. If someone becomes too psychotic and runs a risk to being a threat to himself or others, I will call the police, the mobile crisis team, get a mental hygiene warrant and work with the cops to execute it. It's a tough job, but I believe in the work. I watch my clients' back, even if they don't want me there.

2 Comments:

Blogger wordforge said...

In all the time you've worked at your current job, I think this is the first time I've gotten a better picture of what you do.

I guess when we get together the last thing you want to do is talk about work.

I don't blame you.

Luis "My pants are too tight." Ramirez

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i look forward to the day when we can all talk about our "day job.."
which is perhaps a necessary evil but nevertheless necessary, it weeds out those who can but wont..and we are all guilty of this to certain extents

alan have you read Milton Erickson? he has a lot of interesting insights
relating to what you do..i haven't much but the guy was obviously on to
something..

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home