Monday, January 10, 2005

What I like about America

Hello, there! Nice to meet you (wiping hands off the apron before shaking yours). Must be chilly/wet/hot out there. Come, there's a seat by the window. Perfect for people watching or just daydreaming. I can turn the t.v. down a little (nodding to the bar). By the way, my name's Alan. Just opened up. Not much happening so far. The real estate agent told me that this street is up and coming. Don't mind Ruppie (black and tan cat rubbing against your leg), he's a bit needy, is all. Anyway, take your jacket/coat/hat off there and I'll bring you a soda/beer/glass of wine.

Ah, there we go. If there's anything I like about America, it's a place like this where you can sit and relax and just mind your business while eavesdropping on others. Don't know if you're a Republican or Democrat. Me, I'm an independent who votes Democratic. Why? Dunno. Guess I feel that although the Dems aren't any better than the Reps, at least I believe they might actually like me. The Reps, well, they just seem so angry and paranoid. So adamant about wanting things done they're way, 'cause if it ain't, well, hell's just around the corner then.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on like that. I apologize if you might be a Rep. I'll take your business just as easily as any other visitor. That's what I like about America. We might disagree on a lot of things, but we can share a glass of bubbly or a cup of tea and talk about how to make a better life here. Sounds quixotic, sure, but what the heck. Are we going to talk about how to kill each other?

Look around the world. In some places, you can't even sit down without AK-47s in plain sight. Sad, really. Anyway, welcome, and don't be afraid to holler for some service. Looks like the weather's turning nicer by the look of things outside...

3 Comments:

Blogger wordforge said...

Grabbing a Pepsi from the counter(sodas are the only caffeinate drinks I like; never got used to the taste of coffee or tea) I slowly sit down and look around at the clientele. Quiet place, huh. Still the ambience is cozy and the host warm. I think I'll stay awhile.

Seriously, I am looking forward to reading your daily entries and posting a comment to show how wrong you really are. Just kidding.

Your first customer,
Luis "the Electric Bugaloo" Ramirez

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

america is all posibilities the choice is ours..
it's the ideal place to work on oneself ....
it's the ideal place to get "fat" and crystalize .
.it's the perfect studio for "life..
it's a great place sleep
the sofa is perhaps too soft here..
for all of our sake "wake up!!"

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clean toilets; people shower daily and use deodorant.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home